Final throes of 28 days of #sciwrite

A post by Anne JeffersonA post by Chris Rowan
Sciwrite logo, by Chris Rowan Last week we intrepid #sciwriters seemed to be feeling a bit discouraged by lack of progress, but hopefully this week is looking a bit better. It could be that, come Saturday, we decided to put off writing this check-in post until we had something positive to report, or we could just be that far behind in our to-do lists. In any case, here’s our next-to-last update on February writing progress.

In the hydrology realm, Anne is pleased to report that the two extended abstracts were submitted on Monday the 17th and they look great. Two posters arising from these abstracts have also been created and submitted. The posters are for the virtual workshop on laser spectrometers for field hydrology and biogeochemistry and will be available on Scribd by mid-week. The posters will be presented on Friday live on the internet, capping off what has been an informative and interesting experience in web-enabled science sharing. Anne says:

“Even though these abstracts and posters aren’t publications per se, I’m really happy to have worked so hard on them. One is about an educational grant that I’m leading, and making the poster has caused my team to pull together information about the project that will be useful later. It has also given me ideas for a possible publication this summer. Fortunately, I wouldn’t be the lead author on it. The other poster is work I’m doing with an undergraduate, which has been tremendously rewarding and is turning out to be a neat little dataset that we are excited to keep exploring. A paper will probably come out of this sooner or later too, depending on how ambitious we want to be in additional analyses. Fun stuff!”

All of Anne’s enthusing about the abstracts and posters is not meant to completely hide the very slow progress on the actual papers she was meant to be drafting this month. Those will be coming to the forefront this week and for the #sciwrite epilogue in March and beyond. At least this week Anne managed to sort out some of her figure woes.

Chris can report a week of steady progress:

Since it is the thing with an actual deadline, most of my writing time this week was spent working on an internal grant that will support a substantial rewrite of the Geophysics course I teach, before the next time it is offered. I want to develop some exercises that give my students opportunities to analyse real datasets, and code up a set of animations and interactive visualisation tools that show more intuitively how changes in subsurface structures affect the geophysical signals you see at the surface. I’m still relatively new to grant writing, but I think its coming together nicely – I’ll at least have something to report as finished at the end of February!

As for the New Zealand paper – there was some progress there, too, although I have a couple of niggling data processing issues to sort out before I can wrap up my results section and move onto the discussion in earnest. But just like with the grant, it is coming together, just more slowly.

Chris is currently vacillating between being disappointed that he is not going to finish February with a completed paper draft, and pleased that he’s got a long-shelved project moving in the right direction again. More on that next week.

In the meantime, let us know how you’re getting on. All progress is good progress!

Categories: geology

Comments (5)

  1. I had three writing goals, two related to my MSc research, and the third was finishing my dissertation proposal. I submitted a full draft of my proposal on Saturday, and am waiting for edits/revisions right now.

    Unfortunately, I hit some snags this month, and I’ve had to put everything into finishing my proposal and ramping up prep for my qualifying exams (which I’m trying to schedule, but the target date is a few weeks earlier than I’d initially planned), which means my other two writing projects are on hold for now.

  2. I never held out much hope for getting around to the geochemistry paper, so I’m happy with the progress made in tying up other loose ends. Due to poor timing on my part – and thinking I had more time to turn it around – I had to make a mad dash to get one paper sent out for further review, but it’s sent off now (phew).
    Most of my evening sciwrite time this past week was spent on editing the paper that one of my conference posters is based on, and we’re halfway there on the poster itself. If I don’t get bogged down in the fine-scale design details, the poster should ready for co-author review by Friday.

  3. John Leeman says:

    Abstract is ready to submit today and waiting on co-author reviews for a paper! Sadly, due to the death of my laptop (thankfully fully backed up), it looks like that’s likely the end of progress for a few days.

  4. EarthSciProf says:

    My goals were:
    1) Write and submit Goldschmidt abstract for Feb. 8 (now done).
    2) Revise and submit proposal that I’m a co-PI on
    3) Complete a manuscript on urban CO2/d13C measurements and send to co-author

    I accomplished #1 and #2 because they had deadlines. I made some decent progress on #3 but probably have a couple more weeks of work on it.

    Very useful to have #sciwrite in the back of my head when I was tempted by distractions.