More interesting links that I’ve shared via Twitter over the past seven days. If I had to highlight just one you should really click on, take some time to be wowed by the HiRISE imagery of Mars over at the Big Picture – they are jaw-droppingly beautiful. And seismogenic – also known as Julian from Harmonic Tremors – earned all the geonerd cred, and everyone’s insane jealously, by filming his encounters with Hawaiian lava.
Bill Bryson’s Notes from a Large Hadron Collider Manages to convey excitement without any destroy the Earth!! nonsense.
Zuska explores cultural parallels between scientific and religious institutions.
(via @ScienceBlogs )
35 beautiful landscapes selected from HiRISE imagery at The Big Picture. Coffee table book out when?
Philippines: Mayon ‘may explode anytime’, heavy rains mean lahar risk remains.
Dr. Albert Bartlett’s "Laws of Sustainability".
Geoengineering in the House. Of Congress, that is. Seems testimony was sensible, at least.
Some beautiful images of islands from space. No. 10 us the coolest.
MESSENGER Rewrites Mercury Textbooks Even Before Entering Orbit: Lots of iron, but not in silicates…
The World’s Costly Nitrogen Addiction: 80 megatons of fertiliser used/year; only 17 gets into food.
Unsettled Youth: Spitzer Observes a Chaotic Planetary System Dust cloud formed by lots of proto-planetary collisions?
Another example of synthetic aperture radar data being used to track volcanism in the African Rift Valley.
Solar power generation around the clock . Heat stored in molten salt -> electricity as needed.
Haunting outlines of bones and plastic highlight impact of plastic on albatrosses.
(via @BobOHara, @edyong209)
Blog post from @brianshiro about his work at Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre.
Not pretty at all: Athabasca Oil Sands: open-pit mines and tailings ponds line the Athabasca River.
Fibre optic solar cells.
Even if all other CO2 emissions stopped, fully exploiting Canada oil sands -> 2C global warming.
CO2 from forest destruction overestimated.
Video of lava flows on Kilauea from @seismogenic. Not jealous not jealous not jealous…
Run don’t walk to Cassini raw images site for new pics from Enceladus flyby e.g.
Nice discussion of the Shiva Crater palava by Suvrat.
‘Ultra-primitive’ particles found in comet dust Including lots of ‘pre-solar’ grains.
New PNAS study lists 17 easy household changes that would reduce US ems by 7%
Atacama mudflows may be equivalent of controversial recent flow deposits on Mars.
Geological Society of London on fossil webs found in amber: wow!
Coping With Climate Change: Which Societies Will Do Best?
Solar power from Sahara a step closer CSP network aims to provide 15% of Euro power by 2050. Ambitious…
Planet hunt delayed by noise problems with Kepler. Fixable though.
Search this blog
- A cross-section through the Earth
- Happy 100th Birthday, National Park Service!
- Flash flooding in Maryland: freak event? climate change symptom? urban runoff problem? Or all of the above?
- A week in the life of a scientist – Anne’s first week of summer
- Environmental Earth Science in the News – Spring semester 2016 compilation
- Snapshots of the Middle Cuyahoga River on World Water Day
- A year of Anne’s reading – looking back
- A Highly Allochthonous Advent Calendar
- On A year of Anne’s reading – looking back:
- Tor B: I copied your review of ‘insidious data disasters’ to the Arctic Sea Ice Forum. Thanks for... Read
- Anne Jefferson: You are right! But I know it was when I read it. It must have been a limited time offer... Read
- HD: Great post. The article you linked at the end is not OA, unfortunately… Looks like a good one, though. Read
- Lockwood: Supposedly, there’s a similar hole at Fish Lake, but as I said, the most recent visit was so hot... Read
- Lockwood: Definitely a nearby site I want to look at further. Dana didn’t make it down this summer, and... Read
- Christina Pikas: I really enjoyed The Signature of All Things… had not really thought much about mosses. Read
- Lockwood: My great-great grandfather and namesake, Charles Brown Lockwood, wrote in his short autobiography... Read