If you’re bored with the recent metabloggery here (don’t worry, I’m done, and with ‘nary a mention of the F-word), you could do much worse than to head over to The Dynamic Earth, where Eric has been posting an excellent and highly photo-giferous series describing his recent field trip to Death Valley.
Day 0.5: Devonian Spring Mountain Carbonates (carbonates galore).
Day 1: Meiklejohn Peak and the Death Valley Sand Dunes (zebra rock and modern day dunes).
Day 2.0: Furnace Creek Fm (lots of cool sedimentary structures).
Day 2.5: The Tufa Pinnacles near Trona, CA (suggestively shaped carbonates).
Day 3: The Break-up of Rodinia (Neoproterozoic sequence with alleged Snowball Earth deposits).
Day 4: Ubehebe Crater and Race Track Playa (volcanoes and wandering rocks).
A prime candidate for Google-Earthing, perhaps?
Search this blog
- #365climateimpacts: A crazy February heatwave and a tornado warning on March 1 (February 16-March 3)
- #365climateimpacts: Snow, ice, flooding, and football (February 1-15)
- Oroville Dam: Water and Weather, Engineering and Erosion at the Nation’s Tallest Dam
- A year of climate impacts, one day at a time (#365climateimpacts)
- 317 years since the last rupture of the Cascadia megathrust
- The costs of Trump’s environmental and scientific policies will be felt everywhere
- Visualising Earth Structure, redux
- Venus stays out in the cold
- On Where is Anne at AGU?:A cross-section through the Earth:
- Liann S.: Well done! Clear and concise, I could easily see this being used by high school teachers. Thank you... Read
- Tor B: I copied your review of ‘insidious data disasters’ to the Arctic Sea Ice Forum. Thanks for... Read
- Anne Jefferson: You are right! But I know it was when I read it. It must have been a limited time offer... Read
- HD: Great post. The article you linked at the end is not OA, unfortunately… Looks like a good one, though. Read
- Lockwood: Supposedly, there’s a similar hole at Fish Lake, but as I said, the most recent visit was so hot... Read
- Lockwood: Definitely a nearby site I want to look at further. Dana didn’t make it down this summer, and... Read