If you’re bored with the recent metabloggery here (don’t worry, I’m done, and with ‘nary a mention of the F-word), you could do much worse than to head over to The Dynamic Earth, where Eric has been posting an excellent and highly photo-giferous series describing his recent field trip to Death Valley.
Day 0.5: Devonian Spring Mountain Carbonates (carbonates galore).
Day 1: Meiklejohn Peak and the Death Valley Sand Dunes (zebra rock and modern day dunes).
Day 2.0: Furnace Creek Fm (lots of cool sedimentary structures).
Day 2.5: The Tufa Pinnacles near Trona, CA (suggestively shaped carbonates).
Day 3: The Break-up of Rodinia (Neoproterozoic sequence with alleged Snowball Earth deposits).
Day 4: Ubehebe Crater and Race Track Playa (volcanoes and wandering rocks).
A prime candidate for Google-Earthing, perhaps?
Search this blog
- Scenic Saturday: Crossbeds on the Edge
- Fieldwork should be safe and welcoming for all. Currently, it’s not.
- Now you see it, now you don’t: the disappearing and reappearing waters of the River Manifold
- 10 years of scientific career evolution: from springs to stormwater, student to teacher
- A ton of 2+ year-old AGU journal articles are now open access!
- Reconstructing ocean spreading when half your record is now in the mantle (or: a plug for my new paper)
- Mammals March Madness and slight silliness from your bloggers
- Scenic Saturday: Frozen waterfall, end of winter
- On Scenic Saturday: Crossbeds on the Edge:
- Steve Watson: On our last visit to the UK, my cousin took us out for a ramble above Hathersage. There were lots... Read
- AgTerrane: Back in the early 70′s I was studying agriculture. Women were actually banned from fieldwork... Read
- Christie: These stats are disturbing; I wonder what the numbers would look like for interactions NOT in the... Read
- Carol Jefferson: When I expanded the images, I noticed that the plant that I thought was a water Lily is really... Read
- Carol Jefferson: The thriving stands of water lotus (lilies) as seen along sections of the dry or nearly stream... Read
- Anne Jefferson: Or, as DrugMonkey put it: “Once you understand your PI is a data addict and your role as a... Read
- Meghan Duffy: I also love being the first person to know something! I think that’s such a cool moment.... Read