If you’re bored with the recent metabloggery here (don’t worry, I’m done, and with ‘nary a mention of the F-word), you could do much worse than to head over to The Dynamic Earth, where Eric has been posting an excellent and highly photo-giferous series describing his recent field trip to Death Valley.
Day 0.5: Devonian Spring Mountain Carbonates (carbonates galore).
Day 1: Meiklejohn Peak and the Death Valley Sand Dunes (zebra rock and modern day dunes).
Day 2.0: Furnace Creek Fm (lots of cool sedimentary structures).
Day 2.5: The Tufa Pinnacles near Trona, CA (suggestively shaped carbonates).
Day 3: The Break-up of Rodinia (Neoproterozoic sequence with alleged Snowball Earth deposits).
Day 4: Ubehebe Crater and Race Track Playa (volcanoes and wandering rocks).
A prime candidate for Google-Earthing, perhaps?
Search this blog
- Stormwater management is all around you. Can you #SpotTheSCM?
- What is stormwater? And how did we get to where we are today?
- Kent State University’s Water and Land Symposium
- A cross-section through the Earth
- Happy 100th Birthday, National Park Service!
- Flash flooding in Maryland: freak event? climate change symptom? urban runoff problem? Or all of the above?
- A week in the life of a scientist – Anne’s first week of summer
- Environmental Earth Science in the News – Spring semester 2016 compilation
- On A cross-section through the Earth:
- Liann S.: Well done! Clear and concise, I could easily see this being used by high school teachers. Thank you... Read
- Tor B: I copied your review of ‘insidious data disasters’ to the Arctic Sea Ice Forum. Thanks for... Read
- Anne Jefferson: You are right! But I know it was when I read it. It must have been a limited time offer... Read
- HD: Great post. The article you linked at the end is not OA, unfortunately… Looks like a good one, though. Read
- Lockwood: Supposedly, there’s a similar hole at Fish Lake, but as I said, the most recent visit was so hot... Read
- Lockwood: Definitely a nearby site I want to look at further. Dana didn’t make it down this summer, and... Read
- Christina Pikas: I really enjoyed The Signature of All Things… had not really thought much about mosses. Read