If you’re bored with the recent metabloggery here (don’t worry, I’m done, and with ‘nary a mention of the F-word), you could do much worse than to head over to The Dynamic Earth, where Eric has been posting an excellent and highly photo-giferous series describing his recent field trip to Death Valley.
Day 0.5: Devonian Spring Mountain Carbonates (carbonates galore).
Day 1: Meiklejohn Peak and the Death Valley Sand Dunes (zebra rock and modern day dunes).
Day 2.0: Furnace Creek Fm (lots of cool sedimentary structures).
Day 2.5: The Tufa Pinnacles near Trona, CA (suggestively shaped carbonates).
Day 3: The Break-up of Rodinia (Neoproterozoic sequence with alleged Snowball Earth deposits).
Day 4: Ubehebe Crater and Race Track Playa (volcanoes and wandering rocks).
A prime candidate for Google-Earthing, perhaps?
Search this blog
- All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again: an introduction to How the Earth Works
- Earthquake warning systems are hard, but not having one is worse.
- What does it mean to read the literature, really? (Anne’s 2017 #365papers in review)
- A Seismic Summary of 2017
- 2017 in Review
- Conifers capture the snow, but do they intercept it?
- Speak up for NASA’s Earth Science funding
- Hurricane Harvey and the Houston Flood: Did Humans Make it Worse? (Part 2: Urbanization)
- On All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again: an introduction to How the Earth Works:Hurricane Harvey and the Houston Flood: Did Humans Make it Worse? (Part 2: Urbanization):
- Lauren McPhillips: This post is spot-on. Particularly the point about stormwater control measures/ green... Read
- Lyle: Note that there have been near 50 inch rainfalls in storm events in Tx in the past a lot of them being due... Read
- Liann S.: Well done! Clear and concise, I could easily see this being used by high school teachers. Thank you... Read
- Tor B: I copied your review of ‘insidious data disasters’ to the Arctic Sea Ice Forum. Thanks for... Read
- Anne Jefferson: You are right! But I know it was when I read it. It must have been a limited time offer... Read
- HD: Great post. The article you linked at the end is not OA, unfortunately… Looks like a good one, though. Read