Join the exciting Ecology and Biogeochemistry of Watersheds research group at UNC Charlotte in learning about the effects of stormwater management on urban stream ecosystems. We are looking for one or more student research assistants for full or part-time work. This is a great opportunity for students looking for hands-on research experience and will be a good resume boost for those intending to go to grad school.
The research assistant will be responsible for helping with some or all of the following:
- Maintaining field equipment including autosamplers, water level loggers, and temperature probes
- Collecting discharge (streamflow) data and water samples during and following storms and wet weather
- Assisting with sediment, water and biological sampling in the field and lab
- Assisting with laboratory tasks, including sample preparation and analysis
- Maintaining instrument logs and good records of field and laboratory measurements
We are searching for students interested in part-time or full-time work for the summer. There is also the opportunity to begin work immediately and continue into the next academic year on a part-time basis. Your summer schedule should have enough flexibility to allow you to participate in field work as weather conditions dictate. You must provide your own transportation to and from field sites, but you will be reimbursed for gas. Research assistants will be paid $10/hour. While desirable, previous experience is not required for these positions.
To apply for these positions, please email your (1) resume, (2) list of relevant coursework, (3) list of past field and research experiences, and (4) availability for full-time or part-time work in the spring, summer and fall to Sara McMillan (smcmillan at uncc dot edu), Anne Jefferson (ajefferson at uncc dot edu), or Sandra Clinton (sclinto1 at uncc dot edu). Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. If you have questions about the work, please email us before applying. You can learn more about our group here: http://coefs.uncc.edu/smcmil10/research/.
We will begin considering applications immediately.