The authorSimon Wellings
- North American Arctic – icy beauty
- Beyond plate tectonics
- Sediment and sea: from the heights to the depths
- Scars, acne and others: circles on the ground
- Into the Third Dimension: using Google Maps to know what’s underground
- Looking from the sky at diamonds
- Great Geology in Google Maps: mapping from above
- Hot spot volcanoes: no plumes required?
Search this blog
- On My most important teacher – John Dewey:
- richard coyne: i met john dewey in gymnastics in algonguin middle school where he helped us preform ,i later... (2 days 15 hours ago)
- advance happy new year 2016: Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I... (7 days 10 hours ago)
- Phillip: Wow. Based on the description, they are quite literally the “pillars” of the... (35 days 18 hours ago)
- Sadhbh: The breakdown of minerals in igneous rocks make them look pretty rotten too (comment 2 above!).... (49 days 7 hours ago)
- Chelsea: If it wasn’t obvious from the post above, my eclogites are from kimberlites (53 days 5 hours ago)
- Chelsea: Hi there Simon This post is great as a first foray into typical crustal eclogites. My Masters... (53 days 5 hours ago)
- Tim Bell: Hi Simon My daughter emailed me your link this morning (she was being interviewed about academic... (69 days 5 hours ago)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at all-geo.org.
Category Archives: tectonics
Look at a large-scale geological map and, provided the area is not covered in recent sediments, there will be large areas of red showing outcrops of granite. There are many ways in which rocks can be melted to produce granitic magma. … Continue reading
The word terrane has a very specific geological meaning. Usually short for tectonostratigraphic terrane, they’ve been defined as “fault-bounded crustal blocks that preserved a geological record distinct from that of adjacent terranes” (Jones et al., 1983). The concept was first coined … Continue reading