The authorSimon Wellings
- North American Arctic – icy beauty
- Beyond plate tectonics
- Sediment and sea: from the heights to the depths
- Scars, acne and others: circles on the ground
- Into the Third Dimension: using Google Maps to know what’s underground
- Looking from the sky at diamonds
- Great Geology in Google Maps: mapping from above
- Hot spot volcanoes: no plumes required?
Search this blog
- On Papers and pot-shots: when geologists attack:
- Tim Bell: Hi Simon My daughter emailed me your link this morning (she was being interviewed about academic... (11 days 21 hours ago)
- Libby rutter: Thank you simon. Iv just pinched all your words for my homework. Thank you hope i get an a☆ . X (17 days 16 hours ago)
- Metageologist: Hi Libby, My daughter was doing her maths homework just when your question came through, so I... (17 days 17 hours ago)
- libby rutter: Hi im libby year 8 im trying to find out for homework what eclogite is used for in anyway today... (17 days 17 hours ago)
- Massimo Vicentini: I came on your discussion while searching for a map of mantle-core bathymetry. A lot of... (21 days 3 hours ago)
- Metageologist: Hi, there’s a post I wrote about the beginnings of plate tectonics that might help:... (29 days 16 hours ago)
- Cat: Like a previous poster I also stumbled across this whilst looking for a Cratons explanation. However I... (30 days 14 hours ago)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at all-geo.org.
Category Archives: tectonics
Plate tectonics is the core unifying concept that has underpinned our understanding of the solid earth for over 50 years. To describe your research as moving “beyond plate tectonics” is quite a claim, but Trond Torsvik and the group he leads … Continue reading
Much of the earth’s surface is covered by sedimentary rocks. These form as sediment settles on the surface. As the types of sediment change – sand to mud to sand again – different layers are formed, some hard some soft. The … Continue reading