The authorSimon Wellings
- A new paradigm for Barrovian metamorphism?
- Metamorphic petrology: under pressure and getting stressed?
- Dinosaurs and the dangers of pedantism
- Six amazing facts about what’s under your feet
- A world without subduction
- #thinsectionThursday – what Twitter was made for
- The Himalaya: mountains made from mountains
- BRITICE-CHRONO: death of an ice sheet
Search this blog
- On The Great Ordovician meteor shower:
- Restore Deck Coating Lowe's: Holland: Tulip City, Michigan is a cultural feast of events: dance, art, music... (2 hours 42 minutes ago)
- scary insects: Thanks foor sharing your thoughts about scary insects. Regards (10 hours 44 minutes ago)
- Kim Hannula: Interesting paper (& I don’t have access to Geological Magazine here, I don’t... (7 days 9 hours ago)
- Metageologist: I’m jealous! I don’t have any decent samples myself… (12 days 12 hours ago)
- joe ford: I’m just a layman but I have in my collection, a few eclogites. one is the size of a... (12 days 13 hours ago)
- Metageologist: Those terms are all abbreviations for names of thrusts. The rocks in the Himalaya are made up... (14 days 8 hours ago)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at all-geo.org.
Category Archives: subduction
This is the third part of a story told to me by a Carbon atom in my brain. It started with her tale of how she ended up on earth, followed by an inside view of the Carbon cycle. So like … Continue reading
Eclogites are beautiful rocks that on Earth are associated with the process of subduction – where pieces of crust sink into the deep mantle region. A recent paper by Makoto Kimura and 5 other Japanese authors, describes the first ever evidence … Continue reading
The geology of diamonds is fascinating in itself, but they also give insights into wider geological processes and history. Up until 1725, diamonds were only known from India. That all changed when Brazilians panning river sediments for gold, instead found diamonds. Recent … Continue reading