The authorSimon Wellings
- Scars, acne and others: circles on the ground
- Into the Third Dimension: using Google Maps to know what’s underground
- Looking from the sky at diamonds
- Great Geology in Google Maps: mapping from above
- Hot spot volcanoes: no plumes required?
- Great Geology in Google Maps: dunes
- Tasting the earth: mantle geochemistry
- Metamorphic petrology under stress: round 2
Search this blog
- On Past and future: eclogite and the moon:Scandinavian crust now in Alaska!:Hot spot volcanoes: no plumes required?:
- Metageologist: Hi, I couldn’t agree more! This is the topic of my next post – thanks for the... (24 days 5 hours ago)
- m: Hi! There is quite convincing (at least to me) model by Trond Torsvik and his group that traces plume... (24 days 5 hours ago)
- kk Tan: To invoke the effects of plumes in any geological phenomena, one has to understand fully the... (81 days 13 hours ago)
- memorial day quotes: I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this shlrt article together. I once... (50 days 11 hours ago)
- Alem: Hi ,i need any of ur explanation abt geological structures, so teach me via my e-mail address. Many Txs! (89 days 1 hour ago)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at all-geo.org.
Category Archives: mountains
The thing that makes mountains so beautiful and fascinating,is not so much their height as their steepness. Climbers and trekkers flock to the High Himalaya, not to get altitude sickness but for the grandeur of the landscape, the experience of … Continue reading
Why are some bits of the earth higher than others? Finding mountains near plate boundaries is easy to explain – various forms of plate collision cause the crust to thicken and the surface to rise. What about Southern Africa? Reaching … Continue reading
The October copy of the journal Geology contains a paper that made me think of Sherlock Holmes. That doesn’t happen very often. One of the fictional detective’s many skills was the ability to get important insights from the sediment found on … Continue reading