The authorSimon Wellings
- Metamorphic petrology: under pressure and getting stressed?
- Dinosaurs and the dangers of pedantism
- Six amazing facts about what’s under your feet
- A world without subduction
- #thinsectionThursday – what Twitter was made for
- The Himalaya: mountains made from mountains
- BRITICE-CHRONO: death of an ice sheet
- Traces of glacial ice and water
Search this blog
- On Information about left-handed geologists: results:
- David: Happy left-handed day. I just came across your posts. I am another left-handed geologist. Currently... (8 days 9 hours ago)
- Jerry Sweeney: Hey Cush, great to hear such memories of our overlapping times with Dennis in the Highlands.... (9 days 14 hours ago)
- Hollis: Super-interesting post and thanks for the clear explanations. timely too — we were just up... (18 days 0 hours ago)
- Kostas: fair enough (18 days 7 hours ago)
- Metageologist: Glad you liked it! Deviatoric and differential stress is very similar, but both cause strain.... (18 days 10 hours ago)
- Zun nun: @Ismacil ali ahmed How are mountains formed? Are they pegs that prevent the earth from shaking? Quran... (18 days 22 hours ago)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at all-geo.org.
Category Archives: Glacial
Using many different techniques, dozens of scientists are studying the death of an ice sheet that once covered Britain and Ireland. They want to understand the future fate of modern-day ice. The phrase “ice sheet” doesn’t do justice to our … Continue reading
There’s an immediacy to the study of the Quaternary (the last few million years) that is rather seductive. Most geology is (after John McPhee) studying ‘the former world’ but the Quaternary is close enough in time that it is still … Continue reading
There is a park near my home that my children like. As is the way of things, this means I stand around it a lot, ready to rub bruised knees or produce biscuits or push ‘faster!’, but otherwise redundant. My … Continue reading