The authorSimon Wellings
- Metamorphic petrology: under pressure and getting stressed?
- Dinosaurs and the dangers of pedantism
- Six amazing facts about what’s under your feet
- A world without subduction
- #thinsectionThursday – what Twitter was made for
- The Himalaya: mountains made from mountains
- BRITICE-CHRONO: death of an ice sheet
- Traces of glacial ice and water
Search this blog
- On Information about left-handed geologists: results:
- (visit): Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed... (8 hours 39 minutes ago)
- David: Happy left-handed day. I just came across your posts. I am another left-handed geologist. Currently... (10 days 11 hours ago)
- Jerry Sweeney: Hey Cush, great to hear such memories of our overlapping times with Dennis in the Highlands.... (11 days 16 hours ago)
- Hollis: Super-interesting post and thanks for the clear explanations. timely too — we were just up... (20 days 2 hours ago)
- Kostas: fair enough (20 days 9 hours ago)
- Metageologist: Glad you liked it! Deviatoric and differential stress is very similar, but both cause strain.... (20 days 12 hours ago)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at all-geo.org.
Category Archives: diamonds
Just 100s km away from you are right now there is a place where rocks can flow, where once-living matter is turned in jewels, from where deadly plumes once killed nearly all life on earth. We can never visit this place … Continue reading
This is the third part of a story told to me by a Carbon atom in my brain. It started with her tale of how she ended up on earth, followed by an inside view of the Carbon cycle. So like … Continue reading
The geology of diamonds is fascinating in itself, but they also give insights into wider geological processes and history. Up until 1725, diamonds were only known from India. That all changed when Brazilians panning river sediments for gold, instead found diamonds. Recent … Continue reading