The authorSimon Wellings
- Great Geology in Google Maps: dunes
- Tasting the earth: mantle geochemistry
- Metamorphic petrology under stress: round 2
- Seismology in space
- The Constitution of the Interior of Earth, as Revealed by Earthquakes
- Subduction is not the end
- Paths across the Cheshire Peak
- A new paradigm for Barrovian metamorphism?
Search this blog
- On The Geology of Mount Everest:
- Kevin N: Calum Gilhooly — This is a year-and-a-half late, but I’ve written a rebuttal to the young... (16 days 20 hours ago)
- Metageologist: Hi Roy, There is a mechanism called ‘shear heating’ that has been considered as a... (20 days 0 hours ago)
- Roy P Dunn: When you pump up your bicycle tyres, the pump gets hot, due to friction in the pump mechanism, and... (20 days 10 hours ago)
- Charles: Ok. If true, Either possibilities must exist. 1. A corresponding deepening of the Tibetan plate, sea... (47 days 20 hours ago)
- Leon Williams: This is nicely written. These ancient civilizations are amazing. Here is one on the Olmecs... (49 days 10 hours ago)
- Mary: Interesting post, thanks! That’s a wonderful image of those very ancient sediments deep beneath... (76 days 13 hours ago)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at all-geo.org.
Category Archives: diamonds
Just 100s km away from you are right now there is a place where rocks can flow, where once-living matter is turned in jewels, from where deadly plumes once killed nearly all life on earth. We can never visit this place … Continue reading
This is the third part of a story told to me by a Carbon atom in my brain. It started with her tale of how she ended up on earth, followed by an inside view of the Carbon cycle. So like … Continue reading
The geology of diamonds is fascinating in itself, but they also give insights into wider geological processes and history. Up until 1725, diamonds were only known from India. That all changed when Brazilians panning river sediments for gold, instead found diamonds. Recent … Continue reading