Search this blog
- All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again: an introduction to How the Earth Works
- Earthquake warning systems are hard, but not having one is worse.
- What does it mean to read the literature, really? (Anne’s 2017 #365papers in review)
- A Seismic Summary of 2017
- 2017 in Review
- Conifers capture the snow, but do they intercept it?
- Speak up for NASA’s Earth Science funding
- Hurricane Harvey and the Houston Flood: Did Humans Make it Worse? (Part 2: Urbanization)
- On All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again: an introduction to How the Earth Works:Hurricane Harvey and the Houston Flood: Did Humans Make it Worse? (Part 2: Urbanization):
- Lauren McPhillips: This post is spot-on. Particularly the point about stormwater control measures/ green... Read
- Lyle: Note that there have been near 50 inch rainfalls in storm events in Tx in the past a lot of them being due... Read
- Liann S.: Well done! Clear and concise, I could easily see this being used by high school teachers. Thank you... Read
- Tor B: I copied your review of ‘insidious data disasters’ to the Arctic Sea Ice Forum. Thanks for... Read
- Anne Jefferson: You are right! But I know it was when I read it. It must have been a limited time offer... Read
- HD: Great post. The article you linked at the end is not OA, unfortunately… Looks like a good one, though. Read
Category Archives: palaeomagic
Strange as it might seem, I’m finding North Pole, South Pole, paleomagnetist Gillian Turner’s newly published account of “the epic quest to solve the great mystery of Earth’s magnetism”, a difficult book to review. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy … Continue reading
Birds falling from the sky? Airport runways realigning? 2012 approaching? Only one of these things is at all to do with magnetic field behaviour, and even that is nothing to worry about. Continue reading
Evidence from my field area of extreme climatic fluctuations 700 million years ago – but does it support the notion that the whole planet froze over?