Search this blog
- One year ago today: blue skies over Cape Horn
- One year ago yesterday: volcanoes and fossils and elephant seals, oh my!
- Sumatra +10: contemplating the power of tsunami
- One year ago today: Christmas in Antarctica with the Americans and Brits
- One year ago today: Antarctic bases old and new, and the most mind-blowing scenery in the world
- One year ago today: landfall on the Antarctic Peninsula proper, more penguins, and an avalanche!
- One year ago today: Into the icy Weddell Sea and Antarctic Sound
- One year ago today: first icebergs, first Antarctic landing, first penguins!
- On One year ago today: blue skies over Cape Horn:
- Lockwood: My great-great grandfather and namesake, Charles Brown Lockwood, wrote in his short autobiography... Read
- Anne Jefferson: Thanks, Nina! We had a lot of fun going back through our journals and photos and culling nearly... Read
- Nina F: Wow. Thank so much, Anne, for your postings from Antarctica. I have enjoyed them all. The images are... Read
- Lockwood: Tweeted this earlier WRT the In Focus photo piece: “Very glad people/cities have recovered so... Read
Author Archives: Chris Rowan
Even starting off as far south as Ushuaia, it’s a long way to Antarctica – almost 1000 km of open water. We got a peek at the chart below whilst touring the bridge of the Corinthian – they have computer … Continue reading
You may recall that last Christmas, your intrepid bloggers managed to find ourselves on the trip of a lifetime to the Antarctic. We’re pretty sure that Geokid was Santa’s most southerly delivery on Christmas Eve. We have posted the odd … Continue reading
It’s a truth universally acknowledged that a university professor with an active research program must be in want of grad students. MS and PhD students are generally the people who actually do all of the interesting science that we never … Continue reading
It should come as no surprise that I think that this is the right result: Six seismologists accused of misleading the public about the risk of an earthquake in Italy were cleared of manslaughter on 10 November. An appeals court … Continue reading