With family on both sides of the Atlantic, the Allochthonous family always faces the prospect of a complicated summer, but this year we decided that we needed an additional science leg in the Pacific North West, and that we need to get all our travelling done in one big chunk. Our July itinerary therefore reads: Ohio-Minnesota-Oregon-Minnesota-UK-Minnesota-Ohio. This weekend saw us tackle the first big chunk of travel, driving from Ohio to Minnesota and then flying from Minnesota to Oregon. We’re here for a week: Anne is revisiting her old PhD haunts at Oregon State University and writing a paper with her colleagues there, while Chris is planning to do some preliminary geologising in the Coast Ranges, which may lay the foundation for future work out here. Being here is exciting; getting here was less so, but despite the slim geological pickings on the flat, flat, drive across the Mid-West, we had some fun with Geodog and our Twitter colleagues on the way.
Search this blog
- A year of Anne’s reading…reporting from 2 months in
- Going Green (Infrastructure): Opportunities to join Anne’s research group
- One year ago today: blue skies over Cape Horn
- One year ago yesterday: volcanoes and fossils and elephant seals, oh my!
- Sumatra +10: contemplating the power of tsunami
- One year ago today: Christmas in Antarctica with the Americans and Brits
- One year ago today: Antarctic bases old and new, and the most mind-blowing scenery in the world
- One year ago today: landfall on the Antarctic Peninsula proper, more penguins, and an avalanche!
- On A year of Anne’s reading…reporting from 2 months in:
- Christina Pikas: I really enjoyed The Signature of All Things… had not really thought much about mosses. Read
- Lockwood: My great-great grandfather and namesake, Charles Brown Lockwood, wrote in his short autobiography... Read
- Anne Jefferson: Thanks, Nina! We had a lot of fun going back through our journals and photos and culling nearly... Read
- Nina F: Wow. Thank so much, Anne, for your postings from Antarctica. I have enjoyed them all. The images are... Read
- Lockwood: Tweeted this earlier WRT the In Focus photo piece: “Very glad people/cities have recovered so... Read