Anne’s suspended summer

A post by Anne Jefferson

photo by A. Jefferson, May 2011

Travel safely, until we meet again.

It was always going to be a trick for me to feed the blog in the latter bit of the summer, as I’ve been planning almost 5 weeks of travel, much of it without internet access. A few days ago, though, an unfortunate event pushed the timetable forward a few weeks. My 4-year-old daughter had a playground accident that left her with a broken leg, which is encased in a cast from toes to thigh for a month or more. So, until at least September, I’ll be resisting the urge to blog and tweet, while I focus on the non-negotiable jobs of taking care of an immobile, injured child and keeping up with professional obligations.

Categories: by Anne

1. Pat Nunnally says:

Thanks for all your great work, Anne! Here at RiverLifeUMN, we think you’re the best. Take good care of your daughter; really sorry to hear about her accident.

Pat

2. David Syzdek says:

Sorry to hear about the broken leg! Ouch! Sounds bad. Kids heal fast and are very resilient and four year olds are always a joy. My two kids managed to both break both of their arms over the period of about a year (which was fun as I was going through a divorce then (none of the breaks happened on my watch and I can blame playgrounds for two of the breaks). Anyway, enjoy the time with your child and she’ll be running around in no time.

3. Garry Hayes says:

I’ll be thinking positive and healing thoughts for you and your daughter! Best wishes for a quick recovery.

4. We’ll miss you, Anne, but sounds as if you have your hands quite full! Best of luck with your travels. Hope your daughter heals swiftly!

5. John Fleck says:

Hope all goes as well as it can, and being a silver lining’s guy, imagining a learning adventure for her amid the drama.

Better suspended than saltated, I guess. Good luck to you and your little girl.

7. @cbdawson says:

Maybe you should get her into blogging to take her mind off things! Ok, I kid. I hope she heals fast and is back to her spunky self soon. I did enjoy meeting her at AGU! I wish you both well for the remainder of the summer.

8. Ron Schott says:

You will be missed, Anne. Best wishes for speedy recoveries for all that ails both of you. And don’t feel bad about cheating a little and tweeting once in a while. All work and no play ain’t exactly healthy either.

9. Kea Giles says:

Take care little Minnow! And Minnow-mom! Hey, you should set up a Twitter account for Minnow – she can compose posts & you can type ‘em… I’d follow her!

10. Dan McShane says:

Yikes! My son broke his femur when he was 2. Hw was in a full body cast for 6 weeks. What he loved was using a toy fishing pole while he healed. Good luck and enjoy some well deserved down time.

11. michiann says:

Anne, you’re already a heroine just for maintaining this website, thus we’re all appreciative of that. We also all hope your child will be 100% mended from that leg-fracture very soon.