Where on Google Earth #202

A post by Anne JeffersonA few days ago I got to learn about the Stikine terrane, its beautiful folded rocks, and its potential fossil fuel reserves during the course of searching and winning the 201st edition of Where on Google Earth. Now it’s my turn to maybe inspire someone to learn about a new piece of the Earth’s surface as I get to host the 202nd edition of this geoblogospheric scavenger hunt.
For those that haven’t played before, here’s a quick overview of the rules. First one to correctly identify the latitude and longitude of the center of the image AND say something about what makes this area geologically interesting…wins. The prize is getting to pick the next WoGE location and hosting it on your blog or picking a geoblogger to host it for you. If you’ve won WoGE in the past, you have to wait one hour before submitting your answer for each of your previous wins (the Schott Rule).
I think that this image will be fairly easy to identify, so I’ve made it a wee bit harder by cropping off the scale bar. Good luck and happy hunting.
woge202.jpg

Categories: by Anne, outcrops

What if we don’t know how many times we won?

2. Ron Schott says:

Lab Lemming – Check out the list of winners here: http://ron.outcrop.org/kml/WoGE.kmz

Oh, fine, I’ll come back this afternoon (posting people’s field areas and making them wait all day is a tease!).

4. doug l says:

With a name like Stikine could it be any place other than in British Columbia, famous for its gold rush of the 1880s and the name of John Muir’s little dog with whom he travelled through the Inside Passage?

It is the NE corner of the Drakensberg escarpment, where the 2500 meter high karoo flood basalts are being weathered away by trade winds blowing out of the Indian Ocean. You can see the underlying yellow sandstones of the karoo basin NE of the escarpment.
    28d45m south, 28d53mE, more or less, on the Lesotho-South Africa border.
    A photograph of a more southerly portion of the escarpment is on my blog:

I forget to mention: they are Jurassic.

7. Nicely done of course, Lab Lemming. But you forgot to mention the feature in the center of the image that brought me to this area in the first place. Coming off the escarpment is the 2nd highest waterfall in the world, Tugela Falls.
    I look forward to a challenging WoGE 203.

I did not know that. Where I was, the escarpment formed the divide, and it was dry season anyway, so there weren’t many waterfalls.
    WoGE 203 is now up. I screencapped it 2 years ago and didn’t write the location down, so it could be a challenge for us all…

9. JimmyJames says:

Lab Lemming’s blog link is:
    The profile link is defunct.