For more geo-link goodness, head over to Lockwood’s for the Flash Accretionary Wedge – you can suggest your own recent geological favourites whilst you’re there.
Demo of augmented reality maps – I can see some really cool possible geology applications for AR…
Beautiful crenulated metasediments:
Plane light – http://www.flickr.com/photos/65726513@N00/3967698299/in/photostream/
Polarized light – http://www.flickr.com/photos/65726513@N00/3968476812/
Proposals to extend geological timescale back beyond formation of Earth. Defining GSSP will be fun!
A "history" of the climate wars, written from the vantage point of the future by Spencer Weart: by Excellent
(via @BoraZ, @Revkin)
Easterbrook on the quality of #climate science code ?p=1388
(via @thirstygecko, @scottstgeorge)
Maps of global fatal landslides
Hawaii Lava Flows – ASTER Image Gallery [satellite thermal images of lava entering sea]
(via @geographile, @Marscryovolc)
Waves from California collapse ice shelves in Antarctica? ["infragravity waves"? How Dr. Evil.]
Video: Saturn’s auroras captured by Hubble space telescope
Ediacaran oceans v chemically stratified & dynamic Based on Doushantuo in S China; but is it representative?
Sparks fly in Sakura-jima eruption [wow - lava fountains with added lightning!]
Finding a Secret Map to Erosion [cosmogenic isotope levels in sed -> timescale of erosion. Cool!]
Excellent piece on macroeconomics of climate policy. The "invisible hand" seen without clothes: by
(via @ericmjohnson, @drgrist)
People vs. the Rover [cool N Mexico volcanic outcrops, thoughts on limitations of robot geologists]
Haiti as a Metaphor Haiti eq "surprise" despite warnings, other looming earth/environmental disasters may be same?
Are we running out of materials? Once again, economists claim civilisation can break The Physical Laws of the Universe
(via @TimesScience, )
Using Earthquakes & Magma Viscosity to Predict Eruptions? More viscous->longer ‘run-up’
(via @geographile, @GeologyDotCom)
Bird-from-dinosaur theory of evolution challenged
More than the view of one scientist? Perhaps not
Future earthquake risk in Haiti Nice interpreted SAR image. Rupture didn’t break surface, significant thrust component.
A TREE RING RECORD FROM DEEP SEA OFF OF ANTARCTICA Wow, 1"/year deposition rate, seasonal banding.
[Lots and lots of!] Dust over Iran
Fabulous! : Soufriere Hills puts on night-time pyroclastic flow show
Wired: Stunningly Preserved 165-Million-Year Old Spider Fossil from China ‘Stunning’ well earned in this case.
UK spring: 1976-2000, timing of reproduction and population growth >11 days earlier, change accelerating
Techno-Archaeology Rescues Climate Data from Early Satellites – might extend sea ice record back to 60s.
Blood iPhones? [or, more specifically, blood tantalite/niobite]
Defusing the Methane Timebomb methane munching bacteria may eat results of clathrate breakdown.
(via @Eaterofsun, @Mims)
Hmmm. A new addition to my excursion list? : Laacher See: The caldera in the middle of Europe
Tafoni Occurs In Basalts Too [Tafoni=ellipsoidal weathering features, but I'm sure you knew that]
Drought in SW Australia linked to increased snowfall in Antarctica A "precipitation see-saw"
Nice interview: Lamont Seismologist answers question on #Haiti #earthquake
New paper lists quakes that have caused most ground shaking. High magnitude does not always -> most shaking, damage.
A Landscape Created by the Earthquake of 1700, Washington State.
Search this blog
- Mammals March Madness and slight silliness from your bloggers
- Scenic Saturday: Frozen waterfall, end of winter
- 28-ish days of #sciwrite are over, but we’ve got momentum
- Final throes of 28 days of #sciwrite
- GeoKid shows us Antarctica
- 28 days of #sciwrite: Half way there?
- 1 week down, 3 to go on 28 days of #sciwrite
- 28 days of #sciwrite
- On 28-ish days of #sciwrite are over, but we’ve got momentum:
- Leonardo Uieda: I’m late (as usual) but here is my update http://www.leouieda.com/pos... Read
- Jill Marshall: The 28 days of #sciwrite tuned into 28 + 6 days – but all goals met! First part was easy-... Read
- Tara C Smith: Nice! Ended up finishing a big-ass manuscript and getting that off my plate (after about 8 months... Read
- EarthSciProf: My goals were: 1) Write and submit Goldschmidt abstract for Feb. 8 (now done). 2) Revise and... Read
- John Leeman: Abstract is ready to submit today and waiting on co-author reviews for a paper! Sadly, due to the... Read
- Laura Guertin: My end of week 3 ended with a happy detour and happy dance! http://sites.psu.edu/geotwt... Read