In October, we happily took part in the DonorsChoose Social Media Challenge, teaming up with All of My Faults are Stress-Related and Eruptions to create a geoblog generosity trifecta. We got amazing results, with geoblogs readers giving $8660 to our challenge.
Part of that money was contributed by a generous match from HP, and they have distributed giving codes to all challenge donors. If you gave to a DonorsChoose challenge in October, check your email for a link to put that HP match into action. All you have to do is follow the link, select the project(s) of your choice, and spend HP’s money.
Chris, Kim, and I also promised you that we would write 5 posts of you choice, but so far we’ve only gotten suggestions from three people. Suggest away and give us some inspiration to post here.
Finally, I wanted to share with you the most wonderful thanks I’ve gotten for contributing to the challenge. Donors who give $100 to a single project, or contribute the amount needed to fully fund the project, get a packet of thank you letters from the students. I helped complete a project that gave copies of Seymour Simon’s book Mountains to a classroom in Utah. Here are a sampling of the thank you letters I received:
(Click to enlarge.)
Search this blog
- Of time and rivers flowing
- A year of Anne’s reading…reporting from 2 months in
- Going Green (Infrastructure): Opportunities to join Anne’s research group
- One year ago today: blue skies over Cape Horn
- One year ago yesterday: volcanoes and fossils and elephant seals, oh my!
- Sumatra +10: contemplating the power of tsunami
- One year ago today: Christmas in Antarctica with the Americans and Brits
- One year ago today: Antarctic bases old and new, and the most mind-blowing scenery in the world
- On A year of Anne’s reading…reporting from 2 months in:
- Christina Pikas: I really enjoyed The Signature of All Things… had not really thought much about mosses. Read
- Lockwood: My great-great grandfather and namesake, Charles Brown Lockwood, wrote in his short autobiography... Read
- Anne Jefferson: Thanks, Nina! We had a lot of fun going back through our journals and photos and culling nearly... Read
- Nina F: Wow. Thank so much, Anne, for your postings from Antarctica. I have enjoyed them all. The images are... Read
- Lockwood: Tweeted this earlier WRT the In Focus photo piece: “Very glad people/cities have recovered so... Read