More interesting links that I’ve shared via Twitter over the past seven days.
This is why no-one with an ounce of sense trusts the Express on science.
(via @SciencePunk, @jackofkent, @bengoldacre)
FBI releases American Samoa tsunami footage (wave arrives at 1:50).
(via @Colo_kea, @BreakingNews)
LCROSS spacecraft graphics from post impact press briefing, with added captions.
LCROSS impact recap with 3 animations.
Nice article on the value of funding curiousity-driven research: "Blue skies have a way of turning into pots of gold"
Last time carbon dioxide levels were this high: 15 million years ago, and temps were 5-10 C higher!
Want to draw a sedimentary log? Then this program might be for you (HT: Lost Geologist).
New data hints that Earth’s magnetic field was present 3.45 billion years ago.
Biogeomorphology – Braiding vs. Meandering Rivers Evolution of plants->more of latter – just as I guessed!
Eureka! New science magazine out today. Got Times today for a look, 1st impression q positive…
UKERC: peak oil is coming, but uncertain/unaudited data make it difficult to say when.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8296096.stm, http://www.ukerc.ac.uk/support/tiki-index.php?page=Global+Oil+Depletion (report )
INCREDIBLE images shot through a microscope! Nikon’s Small World finalists:
Any Geobloggers coming to #scio10? You may want to join in proposed Earth Sci session
(via @stressrelated, @BoraZ)
Dave’s Landslide Blog: More images of the earthquake-triggered landslides in Sumatra
The Fall of the Maya: ‘They Did it to Themselves’ Interesting – can easily spot Mayan ruins from space!
If you own an iPhone, get Moon Globe and Mars Globe for incredible dynamic 3D views of Moon and Mars!
Why being a good scientist means not respecting your elders But elders might not appreciate disrespect!
Nasa discovers ‘supersized’ Saturn ring Note picture is artist’s rendering.
Almost 1/3 of British 2ary school children believe Google ranks search results in order of truthfulness Oh dear.
Another place I’d love to visit! Beautiful images from Galapagos Islands
(via @Colo_kea, @ESC_Chocolate)
Have you donated yet to the Geobloggers’ DonorsChoose challenge? Help kids learn the really cool science.
Scientist reproduces Turin shroud. Though people who don’t believe C14 dating won’t believe this.
Have I ever told you how much I want to visit Patagonia? Glacier Outlet, S Patagonian Ice Field, Chile
Epic series from Geotripper: A "Brief" (Geological) History of the Colorado Plateau A future field guide, perhaps?
North Sea petroleum (oil+natural gas) production from 1970 to 2008
I’m still playing with the formatting of this list, so let me know what you think.
Search this blog
- Scenic Saturday: snow over Thanksgiving
- Scenic Sunday: Fall colors along the Cuyahoga
- Hydraulic, hydrologic and #h2olloween
- Anne is wading into streams and science education
- No. Whatever it is this time, it really can’t predict earthquakes.
- Bedload Sediment Transport videos FTW
- Unacceptable behavior
- I will not be silent any longer about the way women and people of color in science and leadership are treated
- On Anne is wading into streams and science education:
- Scicurious: Thank you SO much for coming on the site!!! It was lovely to have you and people so far have said... Read
- Lab Lemming: We already have incoming surface wave earthquake warning- I heard and felt it in action last time I... Read
- Boris Behncke: One of the most overlooked issues concerning earthquake prediction vs. prevention is that even if... Read
- Lab Lemming: I predict that this fault will rupture within weeks of me injecting high pressure fracking waste... Read
- Carol Jefferson: Thank you for the thoughtful blog, Anne. I am so glad you are out of North Carolina, which is... Read
- Steve Gough: That left a mark, and rightly so. Read
- Origami Isopod: Lab Lemming: “This Bio-freeloader.org guy seriously needs to have his mother... Read