More interesting links that I’ve shared via Twitter over the past seven days.
This is why no-one with an ounce of sense trusts the Express on science.
(via @SciencePunk, @jackofkent, @bengoldacre)
FBI releases American Samoa tsunami footage (wave arrives at 1:50).
(via @Colo_kea, @BreakingNews)
LCROSS spacecraft graphics from post impact press briefing, with added captions.
LCROSS impact recap with 3 animations.
Nice article on the value of funding curiousity-driven research: "Blue skies have a way of turning into pots of gold"
Last time carbon dioxide levels were this high: 15 million years ago, and temps were 5-10 C higher!
Want to draw a sedimentary log? Then this program might be for you (HT: Lost Geologist).
New data hints that Earth’s magnetic field was present 3.45 billion years ago.
Biogeomorphology – Braiding vs. Meandering Rivers Evolution of plants->more of latter – just as I guessed!
Eureka! New science magazine out today. Got Times today for a look, 1st impression q positive…
UKERC: peak oil is coming, but uncertain/unaudited data make it difficult to say when.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8296096.stm, http://www.ukerc.ac.uk/support/tiki-index.php?page=Global+Oil+Depletion (report )
INCREDIBLE images shot through a microscope! Nikon’s Small World finalists:
Any Geobloggers coming to #scio10? You may want to join in proposed Earth Sci session
(via @stressrelated, @BoraZ)
Dave’s Landslide Blog: More images of the earthquake-triggered landslides in Sumatra
The Fall of the Maya: ‘They Did it to Themselves’ Interesting – can easily spot Mayan ruins from space!
If you own an iPhone, get Moon Globe and Mars Globe for incredible dynamic 3D views of Moon and Mars!
Why being a good scientist means not respecting your elders But elders might not appreciate disrespect!
Nasa discovers ‘supersized’ Saturn ring Note picture is artist’s rendering.
Almost 1/3 of British 2ary school children believe Google ranks search results in order of truthfulness Oh dear.
Another place I’d love to visit! Beautiful images from Galapagos Islands
(via @Colo_kea, @ESC_Chocolate)
Have you donated yet to the Geobloggers’ DonorsChoose challenge? Help kids learn the really cool science.
Scientist reproduces Turin shroud. Though people who don’t believe C14 dating won’t believe this.
Have I ever told you how much I want to visit Patagonia? Glacier Outlet, S Patagonian Ice Field, Chile
Epic series from Geotripper: A "Brief" (Geological) History of the Colorado Plateau A future field guide, perhaps?
North Sea petroleum (oil+natural gas) production from 1970 to 2008
I’m still playing with the formatting of this list, so let me know what you think.
Search this blog
- Environmental Earth Science News Roundup #1
- Mountaintop removal mining: what it looks like and what it does to Appalachian streams
- The Napa Valley quake, and why California is (geologically) not part of America at all.
- Scenic Saturday: Crossbeds on the Edge
- Fieldwork should be safe and welcoming for all. Currently, it’s not.
- Now you see it, now you don’t: the disappearing and reappearing waters of the River Manifold
- 10 years of scientific career evolution: from springs to stormwater, student to teacher
- A ton of 2+ year-old AGU journal articles are now open access!
- On Mountaintop removal mining: what it looks like and what it does to Appalachian streams:The Napa Valley quake, and why California is (geologically) not part of America at all.:
- Lockwood: For the first Accretionary Wedge I hosted, My post was more or less focused on the lack of... Read
- Chris Rowan: Grrr. I keep on getting that wrong… thanks for the quick heads up! Read
- Kim: The fault tips curve toward each other! It’s so gorgeously textbook! (Also, east of the San Andreas.... Read
- Steve Watson: On our last visit to the UK, my cousin took us out for a ramble above Hathersage. There were lots... Read
- AgTerrane: Back in the early 70’s I was studying agriculture. Women were actually banned from fieldwork... Read
- Christie: These stats are disturbing; I wonder what the numbers would look like for interactions NOT in the... Read