Layer cake stratigraphy

Brian might not like it, but I think this t-shirt is pretty cool:

zoom.gif

(via the Livejournal community)

Categories: bloggery, geology

1. BrianR says:

oooh…I do like it…i might have to get that

2. Maria says:

What on earth are those clastic dikes doing looking like that?

3. Divalent says:

Ok, so ‘splain to me how you get an inclined-layered sequence sandwiched between two horizontal-layered strata.

4. I’ve had that shirt since its first print a couple of years back. It’s always inspired jealousy among my fellow geologists.
    It’s also a great conversation starter since no one has yet found a reasonable way the inclined sequence could be place between two horizontal strata. The best I’ve heard is the inclined layers slumped on a very shallow incline over the flat and were then eroded. But even that is pretty far fetched.

Maybe the horizontal layer below the tilted beds is a shear zone, and everything further down is pseudo-stratigraphy. And that one layer partially melted to make the dikes. (Which would mean… very radioactive chocolate, or something?)
    It’s a core complex with an unconformity on top of it.
    (Or maybe it’s another volley in the jelly sandwich vs creme brulee argument.)

6. Jeri lynn says:

It’s geofantasy! You know– What you come up with when you have to have the cross section done by class at 8 am and that dang QC (quaternary crap) is hiding all the outcrops… :-)
    mmm… chocolate geofantasy… I think I must make this shirt mine… :-)

7. Joe says:

From Massachusetts, the land where stratigraphy often needs “tectono-” placed in front of it to make it make sense…
    The T-shirt is indeed very cool, and I want one! However, to play devil’s advocate, it’s painfully obvious that the whole section represented is on the overturned portion of a large nappe-structure, with the tilted layers representing the eroded remnants of the overturned limb, and the layers below unconformably laid on top. The top-most layers in the current stratigraphy are merely a weathered decollment (sp?) zone. The whole sequence was flipped into its present orientation by a secondary back-thrusting event, then baked at 350 degrees for 45 minutes… How’s that for geo-fiction?