The last four years have not been particularly kind to the English rugby fan, so to say that I wasn’t expecting much from the Rugby World Cup quarter final between England and Australia would be an understatement. In fact, I felt I was being rather optimistic in hoping that we’d give them some sort of game and not get slaughtered, like we were against South Africa a couple of weeks ago. But when it really mattered, the English team stood up to be counted, and then some.
It wasn’t pretty, but it was proof of that backs may look pretty when they’re running in the tries, but forwards win rugby games, because you can’t do anything if you don’t have the ball (of course, I was a forward myself, so I may be a little biased on that score). English play at the breakdown was the best I’ve seen for four depressing years. And now we get to gloat at the Aussies for another four years.
Then, just to make a good day better, the French beat the All Blacks. That’s a whole lot of lording it over the supposedly far superior Antipodeans to look forward to, and no doubt a large vat, nay a lake, of sour grapes to savour.
Search this blog
- #365climateimpacts: A crazy February heatwave and a tornado warning on March 1 (February 16-March 3)
- #365climateimpacts: Snow, ice, flooding, and football (February 1-15)
- Oroville Dam: Water and Weather, Engineering and Erosion at the Nation’s Tallest Dam
- A year of climate impacts, one day at a time (#365climateimpacts)
- 317 years since the last rupture of the Cascadia megathrust
- The costs of Trump’s environmental and scientific policies will be felt everywhere
- Visualising Earth Structure, redux
- Venus stays out in the cold
- On Where is Anne at AGU?:A cross-section through the Earth:
- Liann S.: Well done! Clear and concise, I could easily see this being used by high school teachers. Thank you... Read
- Tor B: I copied your review of ‘insidious data disasters’ to the Arctic Sea Ice Forum. Thanks for... Read
- Anne Jefferson: You are right! But I know it was when I read it. It must have been a limited time offer... Read
- HD: Great post. The article you linked at the end is not OA, unfortunately… Looks like a good one, though. Read
- Lockwood: Supposedly, there’s a similar hole at Fish Lake, but as I said, the most recent visit was so hot... Read
- Lockwood: Definitely a nearby site I want to look at further. Dana didn’t make it down this summer, and... Read