It was an interesting day yesterday.
Firstly, there was a student demonstration outside campus over plans to increase tuition fees next year. Protestors were not allowed on campus, and after a couple of hours of singing and banging drums it seems several students tried to break through the gates, at which point the police moved in and enthusiastically dispersed them with salvos of rubber bullets and tear-gas. Since the geology department overlooks the main entrance, we all got a grandstand view; fortunately, it seems that no-one was injured.
Ten minutes later, we were plunged into darkness due to a “load-shedding” exercise by the power company: increased energy usage in the current cold and damp weather is apparently straining the grid to breaking point, so successive districts around the city are being subjected to 2 or 3 hour rolling blackouts to prevent the entire system melting down.
Living here is a real eye-opener sometimes.
Search this blog
- Visualising Earth Structure, redux
- Venus stays out in the cold
- Anne’s top papers of 2016 + 3 she co-wrote
- Teaching graduate seminars is good for an academic’s reading habits (Anne’s 2016 #365papers in review)
- An unremarkable year – seismically, anyway.
- Where is Anne at AGU?
- Stormwater management is all around you. Can you #SpotTheSCM?
- What is stormwater? And how did we get to where we are today?
- On A cross-section through the Earth:
- Liann S.: Well done! Clear and concise, I could easily see this being used by high school teachers. Thank you... Read
- Tor B: I copied your review of ‘insidious data disasters’ to the Arctic Sea Ice Forum. Thanks for... Read
- Anne Jefferson: You are right! But I know it was when I read it. It must have been a limited time offer... Read
- HD: Great post. The article you linked at the end is not OA, unfortunately… Looks like a good one, though. Read
- Lockwood: Supposedly, there’s a similar hole at Fish Lake, but as I said, the most recent visit was so hot... Read
- Lockwood: Definitely a nearby site I want to look at further. Dana didn’t make it down this summer, and... Read
- Christina Pikas: I really enjoyed The Signature of All Things… had not really thought much about mosses. Read